Monday, May 18, 2009

Mr. Personality!

Every day brings out a bit more of Little G's personality. He's laughing and giggling quite a lot.

Sunday we decided that he'd be OK with the church crowd so we took him and introduced him to the church family. He loved the music and during greeting time he looked at the people, but wasn't OVERLY shy in meeting them. During the sermon he got a little fidgety so we brought out the cheerios and milk. He was content to munch on those. I think he was playing Peek-a-boo with the pastor, though pastor obviously couldn't play back. Anyway, after the sermon when everyone stood for prayer, Little G let out a HUGE burp! It probably wasn't as loud as we thought (maybe it WAS), but it was difficult not to burst out laughing.

Sunday afternoon he took a 3 hour nap and when I woke him up (at 4:00) we snuggled (and slept) for another hour. The little dude was tired! At 8:30 he was quite happy to get his jammies on and go to bed.

Today (Monday) we went to Pittsburgh to the Children's hospital for his appointment with the cleft/cranio-facial team. I think he saw 9-10 different doctors and nurses... I lost count after 5. They all commented on what a content little fella he is! There was good news from the ENT! There is NO fluid in his ears and at this point they are not considering putting tubes in his ears. It sounds like most cleft kids have problems with their ears, but Guille's are good!! Praise God! Another piece of good news is that his palette is connected to the nasal bone on one side, which is also very good. The surgery for his lip will take about 2 hours and depending on how he does with the anesthetic they may go ahead and repair his palette at the same time. That would be wonderful! We don't have a date for surgery yet, but it sounded like the surgeon would like to do it sooner than later. So, after we get my nephew Matt married off this weekend, we will be open to any time that the team has an opening.

Little G missed his nap today and was ready for bed at 7:00. We tried to keep him busy so he wouldn't wake up too early in the morning, but he fell asleep anyway. So I took him up and put him to bed. He was out in 30 seconds!

Please continue to pray for him as the surgery approaches. Pray for the doctors and nurses and for the parents!!! I was so anxious this morning as we drove to the appointment. I suppose it was because I knew that it was the first step in the process--a process that will be painful for my little dude, but it will all be for the best.

Tomorrow he has his first pediatrician appointment. I suppose he'll have to get a few shots and they'll look him over pretty well. I don't suppose he'll be a very happy camper, but he might surprise me!! ;) So, unless there is something that I just HAVE to write about, my next post will just be pictures. (That is...IF the computer cooperates. It is in the process of dying. I'm on a different computer tonight that doesn't have a card reader, so... no pictures today. Sorry. I DID get a great one of him smiling from ear to ear, though.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joan!

    Congrats to you and Guillermo on the new addition to your family! Little G is super cute and I'm sure you're loving having him around. So nice you got him just in time for Mom's Day. ;o)

    Take care,
    Liz E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I saw your pictures....He's a cute little guy...but of course all of us Asians are....hahahaha!! China looks amazing....I was looking at your pictures and saw the markets they look a lot like Korea's markets. Or at least when I went over there that's what they looked like. What parts of China were you in??? I am planning on going to China next year??? You have any good places you'd recommend? I have friends there and have to go visit them. Well I hope I get to meet the little guy sometime.

    Best Wishes,
    Nick Messersmith

    ReplyDelete